Oakland CemeteryOn the very edge of Shreveport's business district is the old Oakland Cemetery, resting place of Shreveport's pioneers for over 150 years. The cemetery, located just west of downtown at Milam Street and Grand Avenue/Elvis Presley Blvd., is not well known to most Shreveporters, Nevertheless, it is the city's oldest and arguably most important landmark.
In 1977, Oakland Cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The earliest tombstone dates back to 1842.
The cemetery officially opened 1847 and was originally called "City Cemetery." The name was officially changed in 1905. At least 16 mayors are buried here as well as some 1,000 Confederate veterans and soldiers.
Calendar of Events
|Oakland Cemetery Tour|